Followers

Monday 12 August 2013

Fight until you can inhale.....

                                 I was in front of the mirror and  getting ready and was in my own world. All this while, I have been thinking about the fact that I haven’t written in my blog for a while now.  I was looking for an inspiration. As I was lost with these thoughts, I guess I saw a little girl as an image. Apparently a much younger me. My mum said that I earned my first income when I was just 2 yrs. old. She always narrated this incident. My mother being a lecturer, I kind of played with books and pens more than toys. One such day, she found me scribbling something on a piece of paper. She wrote “A” on the same paper and gave it to me. It seems that I wrote “A” back and gave it to her. For me, I was mimicking my mother but for her, I started to learn. Later in the evening, when my father returned home, my mother told him the entire incident, and the proud father gave me a Rs.100/- note. I earned it for showcasing my talent without ever knowing that. My mother treasures this incident and always reminds me that I am born with a talent to grasp things instantly and she always had greater plans for me. She never settled for anything less.  I met her expectations being an all-rounder in the school and a star debater. Once I completed my schooling, she told me that she has a dream. She dreamt that she saw me wearing an apron and steth round my neck walking in a hospital. I joined Physiotherapy and became a Physiotherapist, second in my hometown. My sister followed me. I had to enter the real world and until then I was under her guidance. All of a sudden, she decided to let me fly to check the strength of my wings. Neither my mum nor I wanted to take any mortal help for my career.  I then realized that the world isn’t as green as the way it has been painted. I could hear the mocking amongst my relatives but yes,  I did secure a job within a month of my graduation. I was Dr. Priyaanka Sarkar now. Time flew by and then I shifted my career to a different field. From dealing with bones, I moved to the field of numbers. I faired amazingly well there. Until few months back, I should say that I carved a niche for myself in an unknown place. One day as I was about to get ready to office, I felt an inconvenient pain in my stomach. Crediting the pain to the insipid food that I had last night, I ignored the pain and rushed to work. Few hours later, I felt the same pain but it was gone after a while. The pain  reminded me of its existence occasionally but I was too occupied to give it an attention. My cousin was getting married and he was generous enough to allow me to be the bridesmaid. All excited, I went home and that was the last time I ever saw the place I have been for years under the name of a career.  On the day of betrothal, a cousin who saw me after a long time, hugged me. All of a sudden, she withdrew herself and asked me if I were down with fever. I said no. I credited this to the weather outside. That night I could feel weak and by the next morning I was down with fever. I somehow managed all through the wedding and the next day rushed to a hospital. What followed was a nightmare. I was declared anemic and all my blood was drained to diagnose the root cause.  The stomach pain was more frequent now and there wasn’t an hour that I was free of pain. After being treated for an unknown condition that caused me the pain, I realized that it has been almost 3 months that I have been on the bed. I knew it was going to take a little longer for the docs to declare me normal. I quit my job and lay on my bed staring at the calendar as when I can start searching for a new job. Months passed by and I was still staring at the calendar. I have been always in love with my career and couldn’t imagine myself being idle. I decide that I could utilize this time to start from basics – physiotherapy. I wanted to set up a clinic in my hometown and treat the natives. I was born and brought up here and wanted to give back something to the place. I imagined it to be cake walk.

                          I was mistaken.  Rejection came from an unexpected area – my father. He was fine with me treating people but didn’t want me to display any sort of board that would indicate that I am running a clinic. He felt that it would embarrass him if I had a board in front of the house or I had any pamphlets being distributed. I argued that until I had a board no one would ever know that there is a Doc inside. He was even against me getting my visiting cards printed. Once again, I was staring this time into darkness. My mother  and I tried to reason but in vain. I was depressed. I was heart broken. I started feeling insecure and I was confining myself to my room. I knew that my career wasn’t going anywhere and all my dreams are in drain. Nothing could help  me get back to my normal self. In a matter of months, from a employee I became a no one. I lost hope. I could often feel the warmth of my tears on my cheeks and then could hear my sobs. I wanted to die. I couldn’t take all this.  I alone knew the pain I had taken to be what I was until yesterday. I wanted to be second to none. I wanted to be alone for a while and was getting ready to go for a walk. I was in front of the mirror and then saw a younger me.
                            I reminded myself how I earned at the age of 2. I realized that if I was born with a talent, am going to live with it until my grave. Am a quick learner and all I need to do is swim my way out to the shore to feel the warmth of my dreams. Easier said than done. I am still trying to convince my father and while he still seems unfazed by my pain, I am not giving up. While I write this, I am confident that I am going to write a sequel to this incident which would end on a happier note. After all, when life draws its curtains on us, we ought to make sure that its a decent one.
                         For all those who are facing a rejection, don’t give up… Fight until you can inhale……


No comments:

Post a Comment