Followers

Tuesday 28 August 2012

Page turn over....


                      Victor took a word from me that I would be at my best and clear this interview. We quit the company we were working and are in search of a job that would help us dust off the "Call Center" league. For all the support he has rendered, I decided that I could do this much. While I was still lost in my own thoughts, The HR called out on our names and informed us that we would be talking to his "Trainer”. Victor and I decided that we would stick on to our "magic number". Victor was called in and I was waiting for him to come and give me the good news that the so called "Trainer" had agreed upon the magic number. We were told that today we had to just negotiate on our salary and we would be receiving our offer letters. I was so excited for the fact that our families were just a call away to listen to our good news. It was 15 mins that Victor has been to meet the "Trainer". While I was still wondering what was taking Victor so long in the room, I saw him coming with a neutral expression. Before even I could ask him what happened, I was called in. I went inside and took a chair, only to listen to some mumbling. Even before I could strain my ears to hear what that was, the man in the room spoke, "Do not mind. Am talking to myself". Strange! So this must be the "Trainer". I waited for him to finish his mumbling and after few moments, he turned his face towards me and said, "So, you must be Priyaanka! Can you brief me about your profile". I have been through this many times and I went with the flow. His next question took me off guard for a moment. "Please talk about something that interests you". I now realized why Victor had that face. We were imagining about our magic numbers and here I am trying to talk about something that interests me.
                     I reminded myself of the promise I made to Victor and decided to talk about my blog as it was the only thing that was keeping me occupied in my unemployed days. I told him about how my journey began, how I dreamt of becoming Monica Seles when I was a kid and where I am today. He waited for me patiently to complete and asked me what my dream is now. I told him that I am in the process of differentiating between my fantasies and my dreams. I was still wondering where this conversation was heading towards, he began in a slow and relaxed voice – “I was the shortest guy in the whole school.  In spite of my mum being a teacher in the same school, I was bullied by the strongest kids. I always was worried if I ever would get married being so short. I wanted to become stronger, and be confident so that the bullying would end. I finished my schooling with all these thoughts.  I started working out and as my muscles started bulging, the confidence in me started building up. After I finished my graduation, I came across the same guy who bullied me to my nerve ends while in the school. The guy apparently couldn’t recognize me but was in awe of me when he realized that it was me. I am now happily married to a beautiful woman and am a proud father of two kids.  When I look back now, it’s just like a page turned over for me and the pages continue”.
                       The last sentence caught me off my guard. What did he mean by a page turned over? Didn’t he come a long way to realize his dream? Isn’t he supposed to enjoy the hangover? Then I memorized the latter part of his sentence – “pages continue”. I have seen people being over whelmed with happiness on being successful. I am here, talking to a person who came a long way and still talks as if it was nothing but a page turned over. In a way, he was teaching me something new – a dream is like a page. Once you make it to come true, turn it over so that you might have a new page to read – a new dream to realize and breathe in.  What he spoke next lifted my spirits. No, it wasn’t about the “magical number”. In his own words, “I have achieved my dreams and am quite satisfied with the way things turned out for me. I do not know what your dream is but am glad that I have met you – “someone who did not just stop after reaching her dream but continues to motivate people to breathe their dreams”. I thanked him for that and told him that it was amazing conversations like this that inspire me to write something. I told him that if he ever reads my blog, he shouldn’t be surprised to see our conversation in my blog. He told me that he would go through my blog. This was unexpected and then it struck me that “When the student is ready, the “Trainer” appears.
                      I was done with the conversational interview and I came out to meet an anxious Victor who told me that it’s been half an hour that I was called in for the interview. I told him that I would tell him in detail as what happened in the interview. Hence, this piece of writing.
                     Trainer, if you are reading this, apologizes for the fact that I couldn’t take your name that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment